How To Wear One Shoulder Top In New York
New York is full of style icons, but the self-proclaimed “city that never sleeps” isn’t quite right for everyone. If you ever find yourself wondering how to wear a one-shoulder top in New York, here are some tips for nailing this weekend look.
1. Pair your top with a leather jacket or blazer to cover up any skin that might show on the shoulder area, which can sometimes be risque depending on where you are in NYC.
2. Pair your top with high-waisted, straight-leg pants and wear them with a pair of black ankle booties. This will cover the area and keep you looking fashionable while you peruse the city.
3. Wear a belt to give your look an edgier, more sophisticated look without going overboard. This is also great to help with any back problems you might have if you are wearing a dress that has a deep V-cut or another such style that leaves more skin exposed on the back.
4. Don’t be afraid to play with different necklines. Ruffles and off-the-shoulder tops might seem like a popular trend right now but it won’t stay that way forever. So, while you can wear the latest style, don’t feel like you have to limit yourself just yet.
5. Wear some fun accessories to add some personality to your look! For example, wear a scarf if it is cold out or wear a hat if you are feeling more punk rock that day. 6. Think about what’s going on your body. If you have a little extra weight, consider wearing a belt or a pair of high-waisted pants to give your shape a better fit and to be fashionable at the same time.
7. Don’t go too much with the dressy look! If you are wearing a suit, why not wear another color or print in order to add contrast? Perhaps try pairing it with some denim or shorts.
8. Keep things simple and as neutral as possible so that you can wear lots of different things with it without looking like an out-of-control fashionista.
9. It might sound like a no-brainer but don’t dress up too much with this look. Keep the look simple, classy and chic.
10. If you are feeling bold, add some statement jewelry or maybe even a necklace with a touch of metal in it to really accentuate your neckline, which will give your top a more fashionable look while making sure you stay covered at all times!
11. If you are going to be wearing a dress, think about wearing a pair of leggings underneath to give your legs a little bit more coverage. However, if you have a decent bottom, don’t worry about it!
12. Consider another color other than black with this look. Some great options are white, red, gold or even cream.
13. When you add in jewelry, try and stick to one statement piece. For example, if you are wearing a necklace, try and keep the rest of your jewelry simple and easy to look at so it doesn’t compete with the necklace.
14. Don’t wear this look with a lot of prints or patterns that can sometimes compete with the dress no matter what your personal style is.
15. Wear a cute pair of booties or even some ankle booties with this outfit. Or try pairing it with a pair of knee-high boots if you are feeling daring!
16. Add some color of your shoes! When wearing a black or very dark-colored top, consider adding a pop of color with your shoes and even bag if you have some neutral colors in there as well.
17. Consider making your top look less stuffy by tying it around the waist or draping it over one shoulder so that you can show off to everyone how great your top is!
18. If your top has sleeves that are sheer, consider wearing them open so that you can show off some skin underneath!
19. You can wear this with a nice pair of menswear-inspired pants if you are feeling a little bit more edgy. Or try wearing some high-waisted pants to give your fit a more polished look.
20. If you are wearing a ruffled top, consider pairing it with a pair of tights and boots or even some comfy sneakers that are simple and easy to get on and off.
21. Keep yourself covered up in the arm area, which means that when you go over the shoulder, try to keep yourself covered up as much as possible!
22. Be careful about how much you show off your shoulders when wearing this style of clothing. It is best to keep them covered up as much as possible.